Horror Movie Recommendations for this Halloween Season

Spooky season is upon us, which means it’s the perfect time to watch a scary movie! The horror genre is very diverse and that can be intimidating to viewers. Fear not, dear reader, for I have a list of spine-chilling recommendations that are sure to delight! So grab some popcorn, sit back, and enjoy picking a fright-filled film.

Slasher: “Scream” (1996)

Arguably one of the most famous horror movies, “Scream” is a cult classic slasher brimming with gory kills, mind-bending mystery, and lots of satire. It’s bloody, it’s funny, and it’s very smart. While “Scream” does follow the traditional slasher formula (a group of high school kids is picked off by the bad guy until only the virtuous “final girl” remains), it also makes fun of itself while doing it. “Scream” is a movie that doesn’t take itself too seriously which is what makes it so good. If you’re looking for a bloodfest with a side of humor, “Scream” is the film for you.

Where to watch: Max, Hulu, Amazon Prime

Classic: “Psycho” (1960)

“Psycho” is a defining film for the horror genre. It certainly isn’t action packed, but it’s captivating, nonetheless. The movie is a master class in suspense and tension from none other than the horror movie maestro himself, Alfred Hitchcock. Unlike other old horror, this movie stands the test of time, still entertaining audiences to this day. The story follows a young woman on the run who books a room at a secluded boarding house, The Bates Motel. Motel manager Norman Bates seems friendly enough, but there is something off about his aged mother. 

Where to watch: Peacock, Amazon Prime

Historical Horror: “The VVitch” (2015)

Hunger, seclusion, loss, and grief are just a few of the hardships that one Puritan family in this film must face, not to mention the witchcraft. Set in 17th century New England, “The VVitch” follows a family of settlers who have been expelled from their settlement and forced to fend for themselves in the wild. The family establishes a home, but their trust and faith are tested by a sinister force they believe to be lurking in the woods. Tensions heighten as everyone questions one another’s intentions. If you enjoy a psychological slow-burn with its roots in colonial folktales, then “The VVitch” is for you.

Where to watch: Max, Hulu, and Amazon Prime

Family Friendly: “The Nightmare Before Christmas” (1993)

Ok, this one could technically be a Halloween or Christmas movie, but hear me out. The tale is spooky and much of the movie is set in Halloween Town, a fictional world where everything is based on the holiday. The main character, Jack Skellington, discovers another magical world and tries to bring it to life in his home, but things don’t go as planned. It’s a fun movie to watch if you aren’t into traditionally scary media but still want a holiday-themed title.

Where to watch: Disney+

Supernatural: “The Conjuring” (2013)

“The Conjuring” is a staple in the horror genre, a tried and true ghost story that gets better with every re-watch. It follows the Perron family as they face a supernatural entity that won’t leave them alone. Demonologists Ed and Lorraine Warren are called to help the family, and they quickly realize their situation is more dire than previously thought. The horror and tension build throughout the film, occasionally alleviated by (tasteful) jumpscares. If you want a film that’s scary but not too out there, “The Conjuring” is an excellent option.

Where to watch: Hulu, Max, Amazon Prime